Section: Other Grants and Activities
Actions Funded by the EC
STREP FET Open ACS
In collaboration with Frédéric Cazals, member of the equipe-projet Abs . Project web site: http://acs.cs.rug.nl .
inria (project-teams Galaad , Geometrica and Abs ) participates to the IST project ACS .
– Acronym : ACS , IST-006413
– Title : Algorithms for complex shapes with certified topology and numerics.
– Specific program : IST
– STREP (FET Open)
– Starting date : May 1st, 2005 - Duration : 3 years
– Participation mode of INRIA : Participant
– Other participants : Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich, Freie Universität Berlin, Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et Automatique, Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V., National Kapodistrian University of Athens, Tel Aviv University, Geometry Factory Sarl
The ACS project aims at advancing the state of the art in computing with complex shapes. Current technology can cope well with curves in the plane and smooth surfaces in three-dimensional space. We want to address a larger class of shapes, including piecewise smooth surfaces, surfaces with singularities, as well as manifolds of codimension larger than one in moderately high dimension.
Increasingly demanding applications require efficient and robust algorithms for complex shapes. Topics that arise and that we address are shape approximation (including meshing and simplification), shape learning (including reconstruction and feature extraction), as well as robust modeling (including Boolean operations). Our work on these topics will be closely intertwined with basic research on shape representations.
A unique and ambitious feature of our approach is the guaranteed quality of all data structures and algorithms we plan to develop. Through certified topology and numerics, we will be able to prove that the output is topologically and numerically consistent, according to specified criteria. A software prototype, dealing with a restricted class of complex shapes, will demonstrate the feasibility of our techniques in practice.
The project web site includes a detailed description of the objectives as well as all results. The project ACS ended in May 2008.
Coordination action FOCUS K3D
Web page: http://www.focusk3d.eu .
FOCUS K3D (ICT-2007-214993) is a Coordination Action of the European Union's 7th Framework Programme.
The other consortium members are: – Istituto di Matematica Applicata e Tecnologie Informatiche – Unità Organizzativa di Genova – Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (CNR-IMATI-GE), Italy.
– Center for Research and Technology - Thessaly - Laboratory for Information Technology Systems and Services (CERETETH), Greece.
– École Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne - VRlab (EPFL), Switzerland.
– Fraunhofer-Institut für Graphische Datenverarbeitung, Germany.
– Université de Genève - MIRALab, Switzerland.
– SINTEF, Norway.
– Utrecht University, The Netherlands.
The aim of FOCUS K3D is to foster the comprehension, adoption and use of knowledge intensive technologies for coding and sharing 3D media content in application communities by: (i) exploiting the scientific and technological advances in the representation of the semantics of 3D media to increase awareness of the new technologies for intelligent 3D content creation and management; (ii) building user-driven scenarios to evaluate and adapt the technologies so far developed to the requirements of application environments; and (iii) fostering a shift of role of 3D content users, from passive consumers of technologies to active creators.
- Starting date: March 2008.
- Duration: 2 years.